If you’ve been feeling a little cooped up by a winter that has overstayed its welcome, you are probably not alone. It’s highly likely that your co-workers are also feeling a little negative, stressed and unfocused. Maybe what you all need is an attitude – and health – boost provided by Mother Nature and Summit Team Building. And, the science is behind you on this one:
There has been a lot of study and talk around the mental and physical health benefits of spending time outdoors. A study[i] from the University of Michigan linked enhanced mental health and positivity to ‘group’ nature walks … in other words, spending some active time with others in a pleasing natural setting pays off.
- Another study published in Psychological Science[ii] found that interaction with nature gives your brain a break from the over stimulation of everyday work and helps to restore attention levels and focus. It’s like a super break!
- And how about recharging the immune system? Tokyo’s Nippon Medical School found that women who spent 6 hours in the woods over 2 days had an increase in virus- and tumour-fighting white blood cells that lasted at least a week[iii]. Fewer sick days? That can’t be bad!
- There are clear benefits to using the outdoors to boost teamwork and productivity but not everyone is comfortable organizing an outdoor team event. This is where Summit Team Building and our venue partners can help. We can suggest a lightly active and highly engaging program suited to your needs. And, we’ll find that perfect venue – one that offers inspiring outdoor spaces as well as foul-weather alternatives (just in case).
Some of our favourite outdoor-friendly program choices are:
- Blue Mountain Invitational. This putting based program takes place on the spectacular Blue Mountain Cascade putting course. Each hole will present a different challenge for your team and teamwork, communication, collaboration, communication and trust will be critical for success. Lots of easy take away to apply to work related development as a team.
- Survive or Thrive. What is it that makes some teams thrive while others merely survive? This indoor or outdoor based team building event will present your team with multiple challenges that will require teamwork and learning for success. A competitive theme and a philanthropic bonus make this a great choice for any team.
- Play it Forward and Blue Mountain Quest. These ‘Amazing Race’ style events will challenge your team’s problem-solving abilities, refresh the brain and really get them out exploring the locale. Play it Forward has a great philanthropic addition and take on the Blue Mountain Adventure Quest to kick your team building program up a notch.
- The Rescuers. Is there a better example of high performing teamwork than search and rescue? Your team learns to collaborate as they deploy diverse skill and knowledge sets to achieve a common goal.
- Reaching New Heights. Trust and team cohesion grow rapidly as people experience ‘what is possible’ when they fully support one another on one of our high ropes courses. Truly inspiring.
Of course, most of our programs can be fully or partially adapted for the great outdoors. For more about Summit Team Building programs and our partner venues, please check our website (www.summitteambuilding.com) or give us a call at 1-800-685-5278. We will get you on your way to a healthier, happier and more productive team.