As a Manager, the secret of success is not in doing your own work, but in recognizing the right person to do it. After all, you can’t be everywhere all the time. Done well, delegating can have great benefits to you, your employees and your organization. So …
… Do it for yourself. Good delegation:
- Makes your job easy and exciting
- Reduces stress and makes you look good
- Frees you to do what you should be doing
- Develops trust and rapport with your employees
- Grooms your successor so that you can move on to bigger and better things. Often managers and supervisors derail their own advancement by not having someone to take their place.
… Do it for your employees. They benefit as delegation:
- Provides professional growth opportunities
- Develops their professional knowledge and skills
- Elevates their self-image and ultimately self-esteem
- Enhances their confidence and value to the organization
- Brings them personal satisfaction and a sense of achievement
- Gives them opportunities to be involved with decision making which in turn leads to more commitment and increased morale.
… Do it for your organization. Delegation:
- Saves money
- Promotes teamwork
- Brings about professionalism
- Improves morale
- Increases productivity and efficiency.
With all the potential benefits, we should be delegating. Look to future blogs for step to step advice for effective delegating.